(A friend saw Bri this week and mentioned that she is much smaller than she expected given all the weight-gain discussion on the blog and the close-ups I typically post. So, here is Bri compared to her bear, a bear that was introduced to her during her second week at the hospital when she wasn't allowed to eat and was losing weight every day. You can see that Bridgette is still a tiny baby, just a... bigger... tiny baby.)
Speaking of sleeping, Bridgette is sleeping through the night after only 6 1/2 weeks! The timing couldn't be better considering school starts for me on Tuesday.*
Bri had a busier week than normal and has started to see the world. She attended lunch at New York Burrito where she was mostly fascinated by the ceiling. She went to a piano concert Friday and listened intently to 2 hours of music. She then hung out at a family birthday party on Saturday and "met" most of her cousins (some of whom are pictured below.) On Monday she helped deliver thank you notes for the meals people brought us when we finally made it home. On Tuesday she traveled with me to BYU to clean out my MPH desk in preparation for moving to the second-year lab.**
Today we are staying home and trying to line up her eating/sleeping schedule with my class schedule.***
I'm excited to report that Bri has also started babbling. She strikes me as an observant soul, judging by her piercing gaze and ability to listen carefully to voices and music. However, until this week she showed no interest in vocalizing herself, besides an occasional cry. On Sunday she sat in her swing and said, "Aaaah," and "Ooooh," and "Aeii" for about an hour, intermittently interspersed with sighs. She's been gracing our ears with similar sounds since.
Lastly, although it's not too hard to get Bri to smile for the camera (she likes the camera... it sparkles...) I've realized that we have not accurately represented her various moods. For the record, she spends about 90% of her time asleep and playing calmly. The other 10% is split between really happy (1%) and really mad (9%). Her really mad cry sounds like a slow machine gun, "A-kak-a-kak-a-kak-a-kak!" Strangely, even this has its charm.
**Yeah. She cried the whole time.
***Please see prior two endnotes.